DICE have made a rather interesting post regarding balance testing for Battlefield 3 in the official game forums and have also given the BF3 community a chance to contribute. Alan Kertz, who is a Core Gameplay Designer for BF3 (aka “Demize99″) posted a list of potential balance changes that they are considering implementing (as seen below). Which changes would be most (or least) helpful for you? I’m very keen on the spawn protection time being increased, as well as look not cancelling the protection (sick of spawning right in front of an enemy and being taken out instantly!).
- Increased the spawn protection time from 1sec to 2sec. The protection will still be immediately canceled as soon as the player moves or shoots.
- Spawn protection will no longer be canceled by the player looking around.
- Slightly increased the speed at which a player can shoot again after sprinting.
- Significantly increased the damage of Laser Guided Top Attack missiles.
- Javelin missiles fired without laser targeting now do more damage to the side and rear of MBTs.
- Slightly reduced the repair speed of the repair tool.
- Fixed a problem when locking on to two nearby targets, the locking should no longer jump rapidly between multiple targets.
- Reduced the total number of RPG and SMAW missiles carried from 5 to 4.
- Slightly reduced the locking time of all weapons vs Laser Designated targets.
- Slightly reduced the effective blast radius of the RPG and SMAW projectiles against infantry.
- Reduced the recoil of the SKS rifle and slightly increased its power at close range.
- Semiautomatic sniper rifles, Assault Rifles, and LMGs now have more consistent damage over long range.
- Increased the close range damage maximum range of 9x39mm ammo.
- Increased the locking distance for Jets when locking on laser designated targets.
- Increased the damage the MBT’s primary weapon does to other main battle tanks.
- AA Missiles should no longer kill the pilot instead of the vehicle.
- Tank rounds will now instantly destroy Jets, Attack Helicopters, and Scout Helicopters.
- Using flares too early will no longer distract missiles fired at long range. The missile must be approaching the vehicle in order to reliably be distracted by flares.
- Attack Helicopter Guided Rockets will now only track ground targets, as originally intended.
- Reduced the direct damage done by helicopter gunners vs armor.
- Slightly increased the blast radius of the rounds fired by helicopter gunners vs infantry.
- Vehicle weapons should now suppress correctly.
- Increased the direct hit damage of the APFSDS rounds for the IFVs.
- Miniguns and Helicopter Gunners now more quickly destroy parked cars.